Friday, March 28, 2008

The Significance of the Resurrection

I have added a new book to my list of favourites. It is "The Resurrection Life" by Myron Augsburger. Much writing has been done with regard to the significance of the cross, but much less is available on the significance of the resurrection. Augsburger gives us a look into this theme with the Anabaptist perspective in mind. The book is available to purchase from Hearld Press and to borrow at the Columbia Bible College library.

Two things have been impressed upon me recently concerning the Resurrection. One is that, since the word Easter comes from a pagan celebration, it would be better to refer to Easter Sunday as "Resurrection Sunday". I don't think it's a real big deal because we as Christians know exactly what we are celebrating when we speak of Easter, but for those who are new to the story of Jesus, it would clarify the reason that this "holiday" exists.

The congregations that I have served in my years of ministry have given recognition to Lent (the season of reflection on the suffering and death of Jesus through the six Sundays leading up to Easter). I always felt it to be a bit odd that we would give so much time to the suffering of Jesus, but only one day to the resurrection of our Lord. This leads me to the second thing that has impressed me. Sometime in the last number of years I came to realise that in the layout of the church year, the Resurrection is to be celebrated from Easter Sunday all the way to the Sunday before Pentecost. Now that makes sense - a seven Sunday celebration of the Resurrection!

On a personal note, Diane and I were back home (Rosthern, Saskatchewan) to celebrate my Dad's 90th birthday in the middle of March. We were also there to see my Mom, who suffered a brain anuerism on Boxing Day. She is doing much better - talking, walking - but not well enough to come home. Just this week she was admitted to a nursing home. Please pray for her and my Dad as they make these adjustments. Thanks.

No comments: