Friday, November 27, 2009

U2 360 Tour Performance in Vancouver

Okay, so this is a little late, but I wanted to tell you about our experience at the U2 concert on October 28th. Diane is not really a fan, but she came because I was going, and because she knows that they are the biggest band in the world right now, and have held this recognition for some time. She also knew about their over-the-top production that they were bringing. The massive claw that arched over the stage was overwhelming when you first entered the seating area of BC Place. The purpose of this stage effect was to ensure that, even in a football stadium with 60,000 people present, no one would have a bad seat. The screen that was suspended above the band gave everybody a 360 degree view of the concert, and the speakers gave a 360 sound. Take a look at my cell phone photo of the stage.



Yeah, I didn't think of bringing a real camera. I also was concerned about the appropriateness of taking photos at a concert, so I just took an empty stage, and no photos of the concert itself.

It was really loud! Since I know the words to many of the songs (or at least some of the words), I wanted to sing along, but unless I totally knew all the words, I couldn't pick up the words I didn't know because it was just too loud to understand them. I slept well the night after the concert, but my head didn't stop ringing until 8 o'clock the next morning! I guess it is expected at a rock concert. When I listen to their albums in the car or at home, I can adjust the volume to an understandable level, and that's how I learned to enjoy their stuff.

Volume aside, it was a great concert. The weaving together of themes of justice and songs that picked up these themes was very well done. Songs like Beautiful Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and One were a real experience of God's presence, not to mention a rendition of Amazing Grace.

This was the last concert of the tour, and it seemed like they (the band) just didn't want it to end. They came back to the call of the audience three times.

I kind of wonder how long U2 is going to keep going and how long they will keep reinventing themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I first saw U2 perform live in July 2005, and I haven't stopped talking about that experience yet!! : lol: Over the years, I've had the good fortune to see them many times, U2 band and their show improve with each new tour! Next weekend I'm gonna see them again since I can compare and get cheap tickets from Ticketwood.com ; so I can save some dollars to the next concert ...I’m so excited!! http://www.ticketwood.com/u2/