Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's Broken

I broke my leg playing hockey on Monday, December 15th.  That sounds pretty bad.  The fibula is the thinner bone in the lower leg.  It broke a couple of inches above the angle.  It didn't go out of place, so I just have one of these big plastic boots to walk around in.  My doctor said that the boot is not needed to hold it in place, but to protect it and allow me to get around without hurting myself.  I told my doctor that "God is good," because God gives us pain.  I'm telling you, if I accidentally put any weight on it (such as when a crutch slips on the smooth, polished floor in a mall - not because the floor has water on it, but because the crutch is still a little wet on the bottom from trudging through the snow outside), the shock of pain I get is an instant message of protection!  It's too bad its the right leg, because that keeps me from driving.  Yeah, I could use my left foot, but in our car, I can't get my right leg out of the way to do that.  

On the second day of my injury, I was walking the short distance from our townhouse to my doctor's office, which is in the mall just across the street.  I stopped six times to rest and catch my breath.  I was amazed that, not only at every stop, but as I was walking, almost everybody had a well-meaning comment.  I was just thinking, "Why?"  Why does everybody feel the impluse to talk with an able-bodied person who is temporarily disabled?  I wonder if people do that with a person who is obviously permanently disabled?  I wonder if it is because when a person is injured, yet otherwise healthy, that they are less intimidating?  This person is now no competition, even though normally they would be.   I don't know.  It is nice getting all the friendly, sympathetic conversation from people.

A few people have suggested that the broken leg might be a gift from God to slow me down a bit during the Christmas season.  I agree.  In my efforts at trying to worship with every congregation in Mennonite Church BC in my first year on the job, I ended up taking on preaching assignments on 3 of 4 Sundays in December.  The injury has caused me to cancel preaching at Vancouver Chinese Mennonite Church on December 28th.   This has actually been just the right break to let me settle into the celebration of the season!  

One commitment I did keep was to preach at Sherbrooke Mennonite Church this past Sunday, December 21st.  Along with preaching, I also had opportunity to do my last set of baptisms before Sherbrooke's new senior pastor starts on January 1st.  The couple that I baptised were attending Sherbrooke most of the years I was pastoring there, and committed their lives to following Jesus during this time.  They just arrived at the decision to go public with their faith in baptism during this past year.  



Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
Garry and Diane Janzen

2 comments:

Waltrude G. - Grandmothergoose said...

The Lord heard the many prayers that were said over the years and this Special Day finally came.
Patience is a virtue!
Thanks for your very appropriate message.
PS. It was good to be home again! :-)

Waltrude G. - Grandmothergoose said...

Forgot something! :-)
Hope your leg is getting better and that you have actually slowed down a tad.
Weren't there some books you needed to read anyways???
Wish you a speedy recovery!